Gregory N. Hoole
AV (preeminent) rated by Martindale-Hubbell and selected for many years running as one of Utah’s Legal Elite and a Mountain States Super Lawyer, Greg enjoys a rich and diverse legal career protecting and vindicating the rights of individuals and businesses throughout the state. Always conscientious of the high cost of litigation, and a skilled mediator, Greg is adept at resolving disputes favorably for his clients without protracted litigation but is fully capable of taking a case successfully through the full litigation process when necessary.
Greg began his legal career as a judge advocate in the United States Navy, where he was named Senior Defense Counsel for the greater Washington, D.C. area and twice decorated with the United States Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.
Greg’s cases have been reported in such national periodicals as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today. Greg has also appeared in relation to his cases on various law-related programs on national network and cable television, including Larry King Live and On the Record with Greta Van Susteren.
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, Malibu, California,
Mediator Course, February 2017
- U.S. Department of Justice National Advocacy Center, Columbia, South Carolina,
Advanced Negotiations Course, September 1999
- Naval Justice School, Newport, Rhode Island, Judge Advocate Course in Military Justice
and Administrative Law, December 1997
- S.J. Quinney College of Law, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, Juris Doctor,
Honors: William H. Leary Scholar; Questar Corporation Legal Scholarship
Note & Comment Editor, Journal of Contemporary Law
- The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, Bachelor of Arts cum laude, June 1994
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa; President’s Award; Dean’s List
- Kansai University, Osaka, Japan, Fall 1992
Special Japanese studies program with an emphasis on the rule of law in Japanese culture and society
Professional Profile, Affiliations, and Public Service
Admitted to the Utah Supreme Court, the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces and the United States District Court for the District of Utah.
Rated AV (preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell, selected by peers for many years running as one of Utah’s Legal Elite and as a Mountain States Super Lawyer, and rated five-stars by Avvo.
Thrice nominated by the Judicial Nominating Commission to serve as a state district court judge.
Serve Bar and Community in various activities, including:
- Member, Utah State Bar Association
- Co-chair, Utah State Bar Association’s 2018 Fall Forum
- Co-chair, Utah State Bar Association’s Innovation in Law Practice Committee
- Member, Utah State Bar Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Member, Utah Council on Conflict Resolution
- Member, Southern Utah Bar Association
- Judge, Utah Mock Trial Program
- Founder and Executive Director, Wheels of Justice
- Member, Prevent Child Abuse Utah Board of Directors
- Member, Refugee Justice League
- Coach, Olympus Mountain Biking Team
- Founder, Family Services pro bono adoption program
- Member, Utah State Bar Association’s Courts and Judges Committee
- Mentor, Utah Supreme Court New Lawyer Training Program
- Guest lecturer, University of Utah Pre-law LEAP program
- Volunteer teacher, Law Education Project Constitution Day
- Coach, Utah Mock Trial Program
- Attorney, “Wills for Heroes” program
- Member, “and Justice for all” Law Day Run Committee
- Judge, The George Washington University’s Trial Court Board
- Chair, Holladay Bicycle Advisory Committee
- District Commissioner, Boy Scouts of America
- Coach, Olympus Youth Football (Ute Conference)
Publications and Presentations
- Building on the Past and Looking to the Future: How Mediation Has Evolved to Become
a Standard, Instead of Alternative, Form of Dispute Resolution, Utah Bar Journal,
- Taking the iPad to Court, CLE Presentation, National Academy of Continuing Legal
Education, May 16, 2012
- The iPad and the Law, The Federal Lawyer, May 2012, at 26
- In the Wake of Seemingly Exorbitant Punitive Damage Awards America Demands Caps
on Punitive Damages—Are We Barking up the Wrong Tree?, 22 J. Contemp. L. 459
- Zobrest v. Catalina Foothills School District: The Establishment Clause Does not Bar
Public Employees from Offering Religion-Neutral Services in Parochial Schools, 22 J.
Contemp. L. 197
- Building on the Past and Looking to the Future: How Mediation Has Evolved to Become a Standard
Greg is a husband and father of four. He enjoys road and mountain biking, trail running, skiing, and otherwise spending time with his family in Utah’s beautiful outdoors. He is a Boston Marathon finisher and an Ironman All World Athlete.